We all know that the value of the knife is in its sharpness. We have all used a whetstone to sharpen the knife at some point in life. With advancements in technology, we are now gifted with Smith’s Knife Sharpener. But the question is ‘How to use Smiths Knife Sharpener?’ Firstly, you all must know that it is a very easy task. Moreover, Smith’s Knife Sharpener is cheaper than getting knives sharpened by professional multiple times. Go through the whole article to learn how to use Smiths knife sharpener. After reading this article you will be able to sharpen any kind of knife including serrated ones.
- How To Use Smiths Knife Sharpener Kit?
- How to use Smiths Knife Sharpener Stone?
- Step by step guide on how to use Smiths knife sharpener system
- Other Smith’s Knife Sharpeners
- 1. How to use smith’s electric knife sharpener?
- 2. How to use smith’s adjustable knife sharpener?
- 3. How to use smith’s diamond combination knife sharpener?
- 4. How to use smith’s compact electric knife sharpener?
- 5. How to use smith’s green knife sharpener?
- 6. How to use smith’s precision knife sharpener?
- 7. How to use the smith’s knife sharpener?
How To Use Smiths Knife Sharpener Kit?
Smith’s knife sharpener kit comes in a fabric pouch. This pouch makes it easy to store and portable. The kit includes the following things:
1)Coarse Diamond Stone
2)Fine Diamond Stone
3)Arkansas Stone( medium triangular-shaped ):
-used only for serrated edges
– holds a knife at an ideal angle during sharpening
5)Premium Honing Solution:
– cleans and protects the sharpening surface
6)Folding Guide Rods:
– for sharpening at multiple angles
– 3 in number
Let’s take a look at the broader aspect of Smith’s Knife Sharpener Kit, where we will learn, how to use Smiths Knife Sharpener Stone.
How to use Smiths Knife Sharpener Stone?
The stone ( Coarse diamond/Fine diamond/Arkansas stone) comes in a plastic container with removable lead.
Step by step instructions on how to use Smiths knife sharpener stone :
- Before sharpening the knife, remove the lead from the top of the plastic container and put a few drops of honing solution on the stone.
- Spread these drops evenly over the surface of the stone. Honing solution protects the stone from getting blunt after use.
- The stone is used for sharpening the blade of the knife. Hence place the knife flat over the surface of the stone.
- Now tilt the knife at approximately 20 degrees angle.
- Start giving strokes in the opposite direction as if you are cutting a very thin slice of the stone.
- Remember that an equal number of strokes are given on both sides.
- Clean the clogged stone after use. You can wipe it with a cloth or rinse it under warm running water.
Smith’s Knife Sharpener Kit forms Smith’s Knife Sharpener System when we assemble all the contents inside the kit in a proper way. One must know how to use Smiths knife sharpener system.
Step by step guide on how to use Smiths knife sharpener system
- Start the assembly by mounting the T-bars onto the knife clamp. Make sure that it is tight enough. Now screw the guide rod into the end of each stone bar.
- Loosen the front screw and large thumb screw of the knife clamp to attach the knife blade. The clamp is attached at the back of the blade at its midpoint. Seat the blade in the vise such that at least 1/4th of the blade’s cutting edge holds out beyond the end of the vise unit.
- Tighten the front screw to hold the knife in place. Tighten the large thumbscrew on the clamp to lock the knife. Do not attempt to sharpen the knife if the screw is not tightened.
- Place the guide rod which is attached to the stone bar through one of the slots in the T-bar.
- Two most commonly used sharpening angles are as follows:
- 20 degrees angle (lower slot) – ideal for kitchen knives
- 25 degrees angle (upper slot) – ideal for outdoor knives
- Hold the knife clamp in your hand with the guide rod in the angled slot you want to use. Hold on to the plastic handle of the stone bar and place the stone of your choice on the knife blade near the handle of the knife.
- Push the stone across the cutting edge with smooth easy motions, from the handle to the point of the blade.
- Repeat the whole process mentioned in the above 7 points to sharpen the other side of the cutting edge. The same number of strokes are given on each side of the cutting edge and both sides of your cutting edge are sharpened before moving to the next stone.
- To sharpen the serrated edges, use Arkansas stone. Repeat steps VI. VII. VIII. for each serration on the serrated side of the knife.
- X.Once you are done sharpening remove small burs that are produced during the process of sharpening.
- Clean the clogged stones as guided in this article.
Other Smith’s Knife Sharpeners
1. How to use smith’s electric knife sharpener?
- Place the blade in the blade slot.
- The cutting edge of the knife is pressed as down as possible until it connects with the grinding stone. Movement should be from the heel to the tip of the knife.
- Slide the knife through the slot at a 20-degree angle. The sharpened automatically adjusts the knife by pulling it through the slot to connect with the grinding stone.
- Slowly pass the blade through it twice on each side.
- Repeat this entire process on the fine stones.
- Rinse the knife and allow it to dry.
2. How to use smith’s adjustable knife sharpener?
- Insert the entire knife blade into the slot and pull it back from heel to tip by tilting the tip of the knife.
- Repeat the process in other fine sharpener slots.
3. How to use smith’s diamond combination knife sharpener?
- Hold the handle of the sharpener and hold the knife with the other hand.
- Place the thumb on the opposite side of the blade which will put pressure when you start sharpening.
- Place the blade of the knife across the sharpener.
- Start sharpening by pushing the blade away from you with medium pressure.
- You will feel the resistance from the sharpener as if you are carving.
- Push the blade four times with the same stroke.
- Do not give excess pressure which may cause the knife to slip in your hand.
- Now flip your knife to sharpen the other side.
- Secure your thumb and your fingers again, this time on the opposite side of the blade.
- As this time the blade is facing you, make sure that you are applying medium pressure because one slip from your hand can cause a deep cut.
- Start sharpening and stop when you are done with four strokes.
- Wash your knife as well as the sharpener to eliminate the fine particles that are left.
4. How to use smith’s compact electric knife sharpener?
This follows the steps that are similar to smith’s electric knife sharpener.
5. How to use smith’s green knife sharpener?
- Put the entire knife blade into the coarse slot and slide the knife blade from heel to tip.
- Repeat the process for the fine slot until the knife edge becomes as sharp as you need.
6. How to use smith’s precision knife sharpener?
This follows the steps that are similar to Smith’s knife sharpener that is given below.
7. How to use the smith’s knife sharpener?
- Hold the base of the sharpener and align your knuckles such that your fingers are positioned inside the handguard.
- Place your thumb on the top of the sharpener where the thumb rest is.
- Lay your knife on a flat but solid surface such that the cutting edge is in a face-up position.
- Start sharpening by maintaining a 90-degree angle by holding the knife tight.
- Put downward pressure across the blade.
- Four strokes will give expected sharpness to your knife blade
- Do not apply excess pressure which may cause the knife to slip in your hand and you will get yourself injured.
- Wash the knife as well as the sharpener.
1. How many times should you run a knife through a sharpener?
The knife should be run through each sharpener 3 to 6 times.
2. How do you use a Smith hand knife sharpener?
Insert the cutting edge of the knife blade into the bottom of the slot starting at the heel of the knife. Slide the blade from heel to tip and you are done! (For detailed information follow the steps in how to use smith’s electric knife sharpener )
3. How do you use a cheap knife sharpener?
Hold the knife blade at a 20-degree angle against the whetstone and gently draw each side of the knife against as many times as you need until you get the sharpness that you want.
4. How do you clean a Smith’s knife sharpener?
You can clean it by wiping it with a piece of cloth or under warm running water.
5. Do you push or pull when sharpening a knife?
This depends on the type of sharpener used. Electric sharpeners have slots, so the knife is pulled at a certain angle to get sharpened. In the case of whetstone sharpeners, pull and push both the motions are used depending on which side you are sharpening.
6. Do knife sharpeners ruin knives?
Knife sharpeners do not ruin the knives as they are made up of metals. In fact, they give sharpness to the knives.