If you are someone who is not familiar with the concept of the over the sink cutting board, then this article is for you. The first step for getting familiar with the concept is to clearly understand what the term over the sink cutting board means.
Basically, an over the sink cutting board is a cutting board that can be placed on the top of the user’s kitchen sink. There are different shapes and sizes in which this over the sink cutting board comes. There are some chopping boards that have colanders that enable chopping, cutting, and rinsing of the vegetables all at the same time. There are many types of over the sink cutting boards but the most used cutting board is over the sink cutting board with colander. Another efficiently working cutting board is over the sink cutting board with strainer.
Good Cooking’s Over-The-Sink Cutting Board
Progressive’s Over-The-Sink Cutting Board
Catskill’s Wooden Over-The-Sink Board
Island Bamboo Kitchen Cutting Board
Chef Buddy 2 in 1 Wooden Chopping Board
Grandes Epicure Over The Sink Chopping Board
Over The Sink Cutting Board Buying Guide
Usage of this chopping board makes cooking much easier. Now that we have discussed about the basic information about the cutting board let us understand some factors that are necessary to be considered before buying the over the sink cutting board.
Factors that are necessary to be considered before buying over the sink cutting board:
Size: Size is something important that should be considered before buying a cutting board. Experts always advise people to buy a larger size of the over the sink cutting board. The reason why it is advisable to get a larger size is because smaller foot items can be chopped on a large board but not the other way round. There will always be extra space on the board.
Hygiene: The wooden surface is beneficial than the plastic as wood is considered to have antibacterial properties that will help keep the cutting board hygienic. Other than that, if you are going to use the chopping board just for cutting meat then plastic is the way to go as the porous surface of the board will allow the juices to penetrate under the board.
Usage: The chopping board the user decides to buy should be easy to use. Although a chopping board is just a flat rectangular board used for cutting vegetables, some boards have colanders. The over the sink cutting board with colander should easily glide over the sink. Therefore, the user should choose accordingly.
Measurements: Over the sink cutting board is the board which expand over the sink, so the cutting boards measurements should match with the user’s kitchen sink. If the sink is too large or too small for the cutting board then it wont fit which will be problematic for the user.
Best Over The Sink Cutting Board Reviews
The cutting board is as the name suggests over the sink. Another feature the cutting board has is the collapsible colander. The cutting board can be expanded further over the kitchen sink. This feature will save a lot of user’s space and the silicone colander which collapses saves storage. There is silicone edging on both the ends of the board, this silicone edge makes sure the cutting board does not slip from the watery kitchen sink. When the user chops the food, he or she can easily rinse the food. There are some features the chopping board has and they are mentioned below:
- The colander collapses easily which will let the user to store the food easily and the colander’s edges are made of stainless steel. This stainless steel holds the chopping board firmly over the watery and slipper sink.
- Another feature the cutting board has is that it can extend over the sink for easy cutting of the food. This feature will let the user to chop the food and then rinse it simultaneously.
- The dishwasher is easy to clean and is made from material that is suitable for cutting vegetables.
- The chopping board is free from BPA and phthalate.
The brand is famous for kitchen utensils, the designers at progressive come up with innovative brands that serve the purpose any traditional kitchen utensil would. Since the Progressive is particular about the quality of their products, the over the sink board is something the users swear by. The chopping board is easily a kitchen essential everyone needs. The chopping board is the combination of a board and a removable colander. The green and white colander is collapsible which extends all over the sink. There are some other features the product has and they are mentioned below:
- As the name suggests, the chopping board is over the sink which means the user will be able to chop the vegetables along with cleaning them
- The second feature the chopping board has is the collapsible colander. This colander is able to rinse the produce or will be able to hold the produce scraps.
- The collapsible colander is made for easy storage of the chopped vegetables. Basically, the colander collapses to one third of it’s original size.
- The feet or the edges of the board are non-skid. The edges will hold the chopping board against the wet sink.
- The cutting board and the colander can be washed in the dishwasher.
This Chopping board is for user’s who have a limited counter space. The material used for manufacturing of this chopping board is non-endangered and self-replenishable. The main motive of the board is to add space. The board is non-slippery and is covered from plastic. Along with that the cutting board can be adjusted over the sink with the help of the pull-out suspension wires. There are some features the board has and they are mentioned below:
- The chopping board has a classy wooden finish and look. The quality of the wood is such that it will resist water and not absorb it. The high-quality wood increases the life of the board.
- While the main feature of the board is the wooden material, it is not heavy measuring only a few pounds the chopping board can be handled with ease.
- The third main important feature of the chopping board has a collapsible colander which expands over the sink and holds the board together against the wet sink.
- The board can be cleaned easily and maintained.
The wooden chopping board increases the kitchen space. As the name of the board suggests it is two in one. The multi-functional board has a sturdy surface and makes chopping vegetables easy. The important feature the chopping board has is the stainless-steel tray. There are a few features the chopping board has and they are mentioned below:
- The handles of the cutting board are expandable. These handles will adjust themselves over the sink just with the gentle pull of the user. This feature makes the chopping of the vegetables minimalistic and helps to avoid mess.
- The chopping board is made from high-quality material which keeps the surface of the board sturdy. So even if any damage is caused to the board by knives or any other issue the board is durable enough to handle the damage.
- The important feature the chopping board has is the built-in-strainer which lays over the kitchen sink. This strainer will allow the user to cut, rinse and dry the food all together.
- The installing and the setting up of the chopping board is easy as it just has screws to hold the brackets in place. These screws should be drilled to keep the board in space.
The Island’s cutting board is highly ranked and loved by the users. The board has some features which make it unique. Because of these features the board is a kitchen essential for it’s users. There are some other features the board has and they are mentioned below:
- The number 1 advantage of using the cutting board is that it makes cutting and chopping of the vegetables easy. Just set the board over the sink, chop rinse and then strain all the vegetables. Half of the cooking is made easy because of the cutting board.
- The chopping board is made from bamboo wood. The bamboo wood is durable and has a long life. Along with that using the chopping board is good for the environment as the bamboo wood used is biodegradable.
- The next important feature the chopping board has it the collapsible strainer. This strainer is extremely handy and fits easily with the board which makes straining the fruits and vegetables easy.
The over the sink cutting board with a strainer that strains the vegetables. Along with that there are rubber edges that hold the board together even if the sink is slippery or wet. The two and half quarter of removable strainer basket the chopper has collapses over the sink for easy storage of food. This chopper is perfect for chopping and cleaning the food simultaneously. Along with that the basket can be used separately as a colander. There are some features the board has and they are mentioned below:
- The chopping board is dishwasher safe, so can be cleaned in the dishwasher.
- The collapsible chopping board increases the kitchen space and makes cooking easy.
- The third main feature the chopping board has is the rubber edges that do not slip whatsoever and keep the board intact.
- There is a removable strainer which makes chopping cleaning and drying the vegetables simultaneously possible. It also collapses over the sink.
- The basket can also be used just as a colander.
Made with wood, the chopping board has a sleek finish. The brown coloured chopping board is liked by the users and is highly ranked. There are some features the chopping board has and they are mentioned below:
- The number one advantage of using this chopping board is that it saves kitchen space and makes cooking easier.
- Another important feature the board has is that, there are extendable handles which are easy to use.
- The chopping board is handcrafted.
- Lastly, the chopping board is easy to clean and use.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. What kind of cutting boards do chefs use?
Ans: Plastic cutting boards are the boards that are most often recommended by chefs. These cutting boards are made from polyethylene, and are durable and last long. The cutting boards can be washed and cleaned easily. Some of the boards can even be washed in dishwashers
2. Do you seal a cutting board?
Ans: To keep your cutting board in a working and good condition,the board should be once a month sealed with oil. Oils such as linseed and tung oil are used as they harden the wood and seal the material from inside. Some other oils simply work on the surface of the wood, including walnut oil and mineral oil. Beeswax is also a viable alternative
3. What is the best finish for a cutting board?
Ans: The best finish for a cutting board has to be wood, while some prefer plastic or polymer.
4. Do you oil both sides of a cutting board?
Ans: Yes, Both the sides of a cutting board should be oiled in order to keep the cutting board well-functioning.
While you are out looking for a good cutting board for your kitchen, take some time and look at some of our recommendations for Damascus kitchen knife for chefs. They are an extremely helpful tool to have in your kitchen.