Gnocchi is a unique type of Italian pasta that looks like tiny dumpling pasta. It is extremely delicious and is a popular food item. It is uncommon to have Gnocchi leftovers as we would eat it and carve for more because of its deliciousness. However, sometimes, there would be some leftovers, and we would like to freeze them to eat for later. But can you freeze Gnocchi? We will answer that question in this post.
Can Gnocchi Be Frozen
Freezing Gnocchi is the best way to store them. However, you should know several things before freezing them. Cooked Gnocchi can only last for two days in the refrigerator. But if you manage to store them in the freezer, they can last up to two months at least. Uncooked Gnocchi can last much longer than that.
Uncooked Gnocchi can be stored in the freezer for a long time. It can be thawed and boiled in the water to make it edible. But storing cooked Gnocchi will make it lose its texture over time. Boiling gnocchi will make it soft, and it will start to disintegrate easily. That is why it is better to finish off the cooked Gnocchi or only cook the Gnocchi you can eat.
But it is alright to freeze your cooked Gnocchi if they aren’t dipped in sauce or similar things. You can freeze your uncooked Gnocchi without second thoughts.
How To Freeze Gnocchi
Freezing cooked Gnocchi requires following different method to methods used to freeze uncooked Gnocchi. We will cover instructions for freezing both of them. First, we will proceed to freeze uncooked Gnocchi.
1. After making gnocchi dumplings, let them dry at room temperature for up to 4 hours. Make sure that they are protected from dust or insects.
2. Now assemble them in the pan orderly. You have to place the pan in the freezer for two to three hours. This step is necessary and shouldn’t be skipped if you want to maintain the texture and consistency of Gnocchi.
3. After three hours of freezing, take them from the freezer. Let it chill for five minutes. In the meantime, take your resealable freezer bags. We are going to put this frozen Gnocchi in the freezer bags. Make sure the bags are dry.
4. Put the past dumplings into the bag slowly. Squeeze the bag to push the excess air out. Then seal the bag.
5. You can now place the resealable bag in the freezer and enjoy your favorite Gnocchi anytime you want.
Freezing uncooked Gnocchi is the best way to preserve them for a long time by freezing. It will maintain texture and consistency. All you have to do is thaw or defrost these gnocchi dumplings and boil them to make them ready.
The next method is for freezing cooked Gnocchi. This method is not preferred for someone who wants to maintain the texture, taste, and consistency of the pasta dumplings. However, it might come in handy if you want to freeze gnocchi leftovers or excess Gnocchi.
1. Place Gnocchi on a plate and don’t touch them with your hands. If the Gnocchi is touched or sauce dipped, separate them away.
2. Now sprinkle some flour on the Gnocchi. This is to prevent the Gnocchi from sticking together.
3. After that, use a spoon or other similar utensils to take the Gnocchi and put them in a resealable freezer bag. Make sure not to touch their hands because it will reduce the shelf life of this cooked Gnocchi.
4. Remove as much air as you can from the bag and seal it. Now place it in the freezer, and it will be fresh to be eaten after two months of freezing. You can add the date to the package for your reference.
Cooked Gnocchi won’t have the same tastiness, texture, and consistency after freezing. Once you reheat them, they will become softer and will be fragile. However, Gnocchi always tastes good frozen or freshly served.
Can Gnocchi Be Frozen?
Yes, both cooked and uncooked Gnocchi can be frozen to prolong their shelf life. Freezing uncooked Gnocchi is much better than freezing cooked Gnocchi. However, it is safe to freeze Gnocchi to use later.
How Long Can You Freeze Gnocchi?
Uncooked fresh Gnocchi can be frozen for more than two months, and it will be fresh as new. At the same time, cooked Gnocchi will be safe in the freezer for four to six weeks on the best.
Is It Ok To Freeze Gnocchi?
Freezing Gnocchi and consuming them within the recommended time period is safe. Freezing them is the best way to preserve them for a limited period. However, freezing cooked Gnocchi can become poor in texture and consistency. So, it is up to you whether you should freeze your Gnocchi.